(See also wiki article Shiloh_(biblical_city)
SHILOH - Here the Israelites are said to have assembled at the completion of the conquest, and erected the Tent of Meeting; portions were assigned to the still landless tribes, and cities to the Levites (Jos.18.1 etc. 21.1 etc.). At Shiloh the congregation deliberated regarding the altar built by the men of the eastern tribes in the Jordan valley (22.12f). During the period of the Judges it was the central sanctuary (Jg.18.31), the scene of great religious festivals and pilgrimages (21.19, 1 S.1.3). On one of these occasions the Benjamites captured as wives the girls who danced among the vineyards (21.18f). Here the youth of Samuel was spent, and from this narrative it appears that the 'tent' had given place to a permanent structure, a 'temple' (hekhal), under the care of the high priest Eli and his family. The loss of the Ark and the disaster to his sons proved fatal to Eli (1 S.4.12f), and Shiloh apparently ceased to rank as a sanctuary, being possibly destroyed by the Philistines (Jer.7.12, 14, 26.6, 9; cf Ps.78.61)). At any rate Eli's descendants are afterwards found at Nob (1 S.14.3, 22.11). The prophet Ahijah was a native, or possibly a member of a prophetic guild, of Shiloh (1 K.11.29, 14.2, 4).
The original name, as shown by the gentilic Shilonite, was Shilon; cf modern Seilun, a ruined site on a hill E. of the road from Jerusalem to Shechem, about 9 miles N. of Bethel and 3 miles E. of Khan el-Lubban (Lebonah, Jg.21.19). Excavations by Kjaer and Schmidt demonstrated occupation in the first phase of the Iron Age (c 1200-1000), with destruction in the same period, possibly that to which Jeremiah alludes. No trace of the sanctuary was certainly identified, but a Byzantine church, the remains of which were discovered, presumably occupied the reputed site of the Israelite temple. [Article: Dictionary of the Bible, J.Hastings, 2nd Ed., T&T.Clark, 1963 - W.E. - J.Gr.]