katapi HOMEkatapi new bible atlas | HOME | Lystra GALATIA | <Region | [MAP] | [EARTH]

Lystra (See also wiki article Lystra.)

LYSTRA (near modern Khatyn Serai). - A city situated about 18 miles SSW. of Iconium in the south of the Roman province Galatia and in the Lycaonian part of that province, connected with Pisidian Antioch by the direct military 'Imperial road,' which did not pass through Iconium. Both Pisidian Antioch and Lystra were 'colonies' (see COLONY) established by the Emperor Augustus in AD 6 to make the Roman occupation more effective. The site of Lystra was identified in 1885 by means of an inscription found there by the Wolfs expedition. Hardly any remains of the city exist above ground. No trace of the temple of Zeus-before-the-City (Ac.14.13) has been found. The sacrifice to Barnabas and Paul as Zeus and Hermes (or the national Lycaonian gods corresponding to these) took place at the entrance to it. The town appears not to have been much Hellenized, and the uncultivated populace expressed themselves in Lycaonian. There were Jews in Lystra (Ac.16.1), but there is no mention of a synagogue. Timothy was a native of Lystra, which was visited by St. Paul four times in all (Ac.14.6, 21, 16.1, 18.23), and addressed by him in the Epistle to the Galatians. [Article: Dictionary of the Bible, J.Hastings, 2nd Ed., T&T.Clark, 1963 - A.So. - E.G.K.]